Thanks for the responses everyone. I like the idea of conditional advertisement and will likely work with something like that. The session does not necessarily need to go down but advertising them nothing could work good.

Zoe, I like your method as well and will look at seeing if I can work something like that as well since we tag all of our local internet connections with specific communities that are unique per market.

Jose

Zoe O'Connell wrote:
Lobo wrote:
We're trying to do a custom bgp setup for one of our customers but I'm
not sure if it's even possible with IOS.  Our network has its primary
upstream connection in a different city from where this customer will
connect.  However each city has its own local internet connection as
well for backup purposes.  The market that this bgp customer is to be
turned up on uses the local isp connection as its primary due to
capacity issues on the intercity going back to the core city.

This customer's requirements for bandwidth can be met if they use the
local connection only but should the connection go down, they would
most likely saturate the intercity connection and impact everyone
else.  What has been proposed is that they will use the local
connection to get internet access and should this access go down, they
want the bgp session to be dropped or something equivalent that will
make sure they don't go over the intercity.

To my knowledge I know of no configuration that can drop a bgp session
based on some next hop attribute.  Is there some way to control this
customer's traffic as stated above?  Any examples you guys can offer?

Do you actually need to drop the session, or is it sufficient to
advertise zero prefixes? If the latter, you could apply a route-map
outbound towards the customer that only allows the "local" internet
routes to be advertised to them, by setting/matching communities
appropriately. For example:

route-map transit-in permit 10
 set community YOURAS:1234

ip community-list standard LOCAL-ROUTES permit YOURAS:1234

route-map customer-out permit 10
 match community LOCAL-ROUTES

Similar can be applied in reverse to prevent the customer's routes being
advertised out transit links other than the local one.