Thank you Arie
It indeed works through GRE though linux box doesn't want to respond to IGMP query. But I hope I'll fix it. As for getting a new connectivity module the question is all about money or lack of it.

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:52:21 +0400, Arie Vayner (avayner) <[email protected]> wrote:

Victor,

You could actually use GRE for that. The 7600 can do GRE in hardware
(assuming you have Sup720 and up).

You need to make sure that the multicast source would be an IP routed
through the GRE tunnel on the 7600, or else you would get RPF failures.

I would say the best practice would be to get a switch that can handle
multicast, and the above would be a workaround.

Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of victor
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 19:28
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: [c-nsp] send multicast over non-multicast-enabled switch

Hi.
I was assigned with a task to set up a video streaming server and use a

blade server for it. The problem is that the network connectivity module

for the blade chassis is not dotQ multicast aware and simply drop all
the
224.0.0.0/4 data. What options do I have to get the traffic through? I
am
thinking may be it is possible to encapsulate the stream into gre and
then
safely transport it to the RP? Or may be I can send it as unicast and
then
convert it somehow into multicast? Is there a best practices guide for
this matter?
The blade runs Linux and over the trunk connected to the RP which is
Cisco
7604.



--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to