I am looking at getting some metro waves (mostly 20-40km) between sites; I'm working with a provider who is using passive splitters on dark runs and they're willing to split me out a wave for near the same cost as just running a gig switched.
Currently, I am thinking of using a 6704 blade with a DFC3B (I'm using sup7203Bs - no call for the C model in my environ) and buying tuned optics. The goal is primarily serialization latency delay reduction, not actually running 10G of traffic - I'll be lucky to run 1-2GB (though it'll mostly be 60-100byte packets). 1) The cisco optics appear to be in short supply and damn expensive. I may have to go third-party. I know it's a gamble. Any other issues I Should think about besides what's been discussed here? 2) Is XENPAK on 6704 viable? Any gotchas I should know about with XENPAKs vs X2? 3) Does 6500 switching performance blow super-hard, or just so-so hard? (6-15us is ok.) Yes a 4900M might be faster, or a J-product, but I don't want to change platform really, I need NAT and don't want to use routers, I want to keep box count down (co-lo), and having a whole box just for passing 10G doesn't IMO make sense because I'd still have to get it into the 6500 anyway. 4) What's reliability on the tuned optics (vs say using a freq-shift box with a normal 10G optic)? Is this of the level that I should expect significant BER, or keep a spare on the shelf, or is it pretty much rock-solid? As you might guess, this is my first foray into actually implementing DWDM runs - I've studied it and planned it, but this is now at the "buy stuff" level, and I don't want to assume I know everything. Relevant document pointers appreciated. Thanks, -bacon _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
