I've always been leery of this feature; I've consider using it in the past to troubleshoot badly written apps that mucks up tcp 3-way handshakes/4-way teardowns; I can see this as a quick & dirty mechanism to bypass the stateful inspection engine without taking the firewall logically out of the data path; I'd be careful with using this feature without serious consideration of consequences; I also don't like the fact that it changes the default "stateful inspection" behavior.

I'd also be interested to hear what other folks think about this..

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: [email protected]

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services



Peter Rathlev wrote:
On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:44 -0600, James Slepicka wrote:
Just keep in mind that traffic through the firewalls usually* needs to
be symmetric.  Be sure to account for that in your design.

* https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/conns_tcpstatebypass.html

I've read about this, but I fail to see what the point is. If the
firewall doesn't do stateful inspection, then why use a firewall? Why
not just a router/switch with L4 ACLs?

What am I missing?

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to