Drew,
If your VLANs are all covered by "network X.Y.Z.W area V" command under "router ospf T" then they all are represented as Type-1/Type-2 LSA in OSPF LSDB. And every time a VLAN goes down, LSA-1/2 are reflooded with Age=MaxAge (default 3600 sec).
When this VLAn goes back up, LSA-1/2 are recreated and reflooded again.
Every time this happens, all OSPF routers in given area must recalculate their SPF, then put OSPF routes in a routing table with new timestamp. I'd suggest to use OSPF "network" statement for core VLANs only, edge VLANs should be injected with "redistrubute connected/static" statement (this creates Type-5 LSA for edge VLANs which does not affect SPF).
HTH
Rgds
Alex


--------------------------------------------------
From: "Drew Weaver" <[email protected]>
Date: 30 November 2009 14:39
To: "Cisco-nsp" <[email protected]>
Subject: [c-nsp] OSPF clarification

Hi,

If you have your entire network in a single area (area 0), is it normal that when a VLAN on any switch in that area flaps that all of your routes in OSPF 'reset'?

I don't mean a 'neighbor' VLAN, I mean just any old VLAN with an IP address assigned to it.

Last update from x.x.x.x on Vlan4061, 00:08:42 ago

I mean the 'timers' seem to reset for every single route in OSPF anytime a single VLAN anywhere goes down.

If this is intended, which I am still not sure of, what would be the proper way to 'area' a datacenter?

It doesn't seem like there would be a way to do it so that just the route attached to said VLAN that is flapping would be removed/re-inserted unless you put each VLAN in a separate area.

thanks,
-Drew



_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to