On Jan 4, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am trying to figure out if there is a different/newer/better(?) way to
> announce our public IP ranges to our Internet providers, currently we are
> declaring our subnets in 'network statements' in the BGP configuration, we
> have static routes setup like ip route x.x.x.x 255.255.224.0 Null0 254 and
> then we have a extended access-list applied to each peer with our net blocks
> listed in them.
>
> It appears that because of the network statements, the supernet routes (/18s,
> /19s, etc) are being distributed via BGP to the rest of the network which is
> by design(I assume). This doesn't seem ideal because if traffic is sent to an
> IP address that doesn't have a more specific route than say /18, or /19 it
> travels all the way through the network to the edge before stopping. I might
> be blowing the impact of this out of proportion, but it just seems like a
> waste of resources.
>
> Does anyone know of a seemingly more sensible way of doing this?

You could always tag these hold-down routes with a community, then when someone
sends a packet to them, the next-hop could be rewritten to a local
discard/null0 instance.

This should allow you to distribute the load instead of backhauling the traffic
to the final destination/aggregation location.

- Jared