Walter Keen wrote:
Is customizing snmp-traps possible through rmon or some other means so that the delivered message not only has the physical name (gi0/1, etc) but also the description of that port as named in the interface config? Dealing mostly with 2960's and 7600's, and trying to figure out if this is possible. Even if I have to specify an rmon entry per physical interface, I'm dealing with small enough numbers that would work. Something like '<int-name> <int-descr> is <down/up>' or similar would be ideal.

Going to want to have this for link up/down initially, and then also setup some traps for taking on interface errors, etc.

Have your trap receiver do a query on the ifIndex that gets sent with the trap. Example with snmpget where $1 is the ifIndex value:

snmpget -v1 -Oqv -c public host ifAlias.$1 ifName.$1

This will return the "description" of that interface and its name i.e. Fa0/0.

~Seth