Hey Everyone,

We're running a pair of ASAs on 8.2(1), and we only have one available IP in 
our external range, and we want to have 2 ASAs for redundancy.  So I wanted to 
know what the possible ramifications are for not setting a standby IP for an 
interface.  My understanding is that the Primary ASA's IP is used in all cases 
by both primary and secondary ASAs when active and it's only the mac address 
that will change if the secondary ASA happens to boot and become active before 
the primary.  Which is fairly trivial, and can be avoided with a bit of 
planning, so I'm not worried about this.

So my thinking is, that since all traffic is going to be directed to the 
Primary ASAs external IP, and whatever ASA happens to be active will be able 
communicate on this IP, then it should be fine.  And that the only thing I'm 
potentially losing is the ability to SSH/manage the secondary ASA from the 
external IP, which is completely fine in my situation.  Is there another case 
that I'm missing?

For clarification the ASAs are connected with a dedicated crossover cable for 
failover and state information replication.  So if an interface were to fail, 
the other ASA should (in theory) be notified via the failover connection.

Is this sound?  Did I miss anything?
Thanks!
-Tom Lusty

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to