One thing you can do to help with this in the future is to put the S/N into the 
config.
Something like:

    alias exec SerialNumber SN_<serial_number>

That way it is always available with a show config.  True this doesn't help you 
get
the S/N the first time, for that you still have to do a visual inspection.

It is a good idea to have this in your deployment procedure for all equipment.

Matt

On Feb 23, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Cory Ayers wrote:

>> Hello,
>>      We had a similar problem with our 7200 series. According to TAC
>> some Cisco products do not report the serial number. That was the case
>> with us, and the only way to verify was to physically go to the box and
>> check. Given the age of the 3600 series routers, I would guess the same
>> limitation applies to your case.
>> 
>> 
>>> I've going over a customer's inventory, and I'm having some trouble
>>> serial numbers. How do you get the serial number for a 3640 router? I
>>> usually look for the processor board ID in 'sho ver', but that's not
>>> matching what's  listed in the inventory.
> 
> I don't believe there is a way to pull chassis serial from the command line 
> on the older router models (2600, 3600, 7200).  You can pull the mainboard 
> serial, but this does not match the sticker on the outside of the chassis.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to