On Wednesday 10 March 2010 11:25:24 pm luismi wrote: > We are evaluating the idea to the deploy here a Procera > device. I would like to hear, share and discuss about > Procera products. I would like to talk also about > Packeteer > Procera migration, common features, > advantages or disadvantages... > So is there is anyone here working with it, I would like > to share few comments.
They came to run a demo of one of their boxes in our network. All it proved was that there was nothing in there for us we couldn't do with our routers twice as well with no extra license fees. On the other hand, over the years, I've tended to shy away from dedicated so-called bandwidth management appliances. It's hard enough designing them into your topology (particularly if it's considerably redundant). Besides, for bandwidth managers to make sense, a certain traffic flow profile is assumed, which can seriously derail you once customers begin to surprise you, or your business takes off. All in all, I've slept better at night knowing the same box handling my customer's packets is the same one doing bandwidth management, basic or advanced. Sure, it can get quirky, and at times quite expensive, but not anymore awkward than having some box sit in between parts of your network uncertain how to handle MPLS or IPv6 packets :-). Cheers, Mark.
signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.
_______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
