Thought I would update the thread with what was finally figured out. As Arie was able to confirm (see below) the 4500 Sup6e doesn't support the hierarchical model. But with the help of TAC a work around was found. The idea is that you use a one interface port-channel to effectively apply two policies. So you would apply the policer to the port-channel interface, and then the queuing to the physical interface. This allows us to replicate what the hierarchical model would have done for us in this situation.
I know I was banging my head on this one for a while, so hopefully this will spare someone else from a similar headache. -Tom Lusty From: Arie Vayner [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:51 PM To: Tom Lusty Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Available bandwidth less than actual link speed - QoS on 4500 Sup6e Tom, After looking better, Sup6E does not support the hierarchical model... Arie On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Arie Vayner <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Tom, >From what I see, this should be supported... What IOS version are you running >on this box? Arie On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tom Lusty <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Thank you for the clarification. This all makes sense, but the problem is that the sup6e won't let me apply a child policy. Am I missing something more global that turns this functionality on, or is this just unsupported on this platform? I just tried it again below - the option just isn't there. Thank you for the help, -Tom BOS-4500-1(config)#policy-map blah BOS-4500-1(config-pmap)#class class-default BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)#shape average 1024000 BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)#ser BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)#ser? % Unrecognized command BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)#? QoS policy-map class configuration commands: bandwidth Bandwidth dbl Dynamic buffer limiting exit Exit from QoS class action configuration mode no Negate or set default values of a command police Police priority Strict Scheduling Priority for this Class queue-limit Queue Max Threshold for Tail Drop set Set QoS values shape Traffic Shaping <cr> BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)#service-policy ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. BOS-4500-1(config-pmap-c)# From: Arie Vayner [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>] Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:09 PM To: Tom Lusty Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Available bandwidth less than actual link speed - QoS on 4500 Sup6e Yes, you need to apply a child policy under the shaper which would handle the classes. class-default does not match DSCP 0 - it matches all traffic not matched by other classes, so on the parent it would apply for all traffic, shape it, and then apply the child policy. Priority classes propagate through QOS levels. Arie On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Tom Lusty <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Arie, How does that work when I'm running QoS with multiple classes under it? My understanding is that this only applies to traffic that has COS 0/DSCP 0, which doesn't take into account the other traffic that I'm trying to prioritize. I found something similar (see below), but it seems the Sup6e doesn't support nested policy-maps policy-map child13 class VOIP-TRAFFIC priority 200 class DATA-IMPORTANT bandwidth percent 60 class class-default fair-queue policy-map tunnel13 class class-default shape average 1024000 service-policy child13 From: Arie Vayner [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>] Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:47 PM To: Tom Lusty Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Available bandwidth less than actual link speed - QoS on 4500 Sup6e Tom, On Sup6e you just use MQC. It would look like: policy-map Shape-500M class class-default shape average 500000 int gig0/0 service-policy shape-500M out (double check the syntax as I am typing from memory) Arie On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Tom Lusty <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Hello, We have a Metro Ethernet connection that has an available bandwidth that is below the link speed on that interface; 500Mbps available, plugged into a 1Gb port. We had this working on our old 3750s but we just migrated to a 4500 with a Sup6e, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how to do this. On the 3750 it was as easy as applying the "srr-queue bandwidth limit 50" command to the desired interface. From my reading I could pull it off by policing/shaping everything in the policy so that cumulatively it would get up to 500Mbps, but this seems like a ton of work for something that shouldn't (or at least wasn't) so much work previously. So there has to be another method/command that I've overlooked. I did look at the interface bandwidth command, but from my reading this command is just used to set the bandwidth for routing protocol calculations. It would be great if it did more than that but I didn't find anything definitive. Cliffs: Migrated from 3750s, where we used the "srr-queue bandwidth limit 50" command so QoS would function properly. What is the equivalent command on the 4500 Sup6e? Thanks! -Tom Lusty _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
