My experience was a bit different. I could have probably pushed 500Mbps with 
large packets, but my traffic is composed of a lot of small packets and 
micro-bursts. So in my case, I don't quantify it's performance in terms of 
bandwidth, but rather in terms of the volume of packets. I would see it die at 
or above 50k PPS forwarding through two interfaces. I now use line-rate devices 
(ASR1002's) in this role and the 7200/7300 series are on the test rack.

-b


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Real life performance of NPE G1/G2?

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 08:53:30 pm Garry wrote:

> I was wondering, what real life performance can one  expect from an 
> NPE G1, considering mostly vanilla IP  routing/forwarding? (no ACLs, 
> no VPNs, running CEF and  MPLS VRFs, OSPF/iBGP for routing protocol, 
> and utilizing  the integrated Gbit interfaces as well as 1-2 STM1 PAs  
> on the 7200 VXR chassis)

I've seen an NPE-G1 configured with just IP addresses and 2 BGP peers (2 
prefixes in each, none out), no ACL's, no VPN's, no QoS - basically, real 
vanilla.

It was forwarding ~920Mbps in total (I know, weird, huh) broken down as 3x 
interfaces each doing a little over 300Mbps.

As a real serving edge node, I haven't been able to get more than 500Mbps total 
out of it.

Cheers,

Mark.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to