Good morning everyone,
If I may have a moment of your time, I'm approaching a small MPLS deployment (L3 VPN functionality only, no TE or L2VPN) on existing infrastructure primarily 6500's & ASR1k's and would very much like the opinion of the list on some best practices. There are several technologies that I'm trying to determine the appropriateness to activate or tune and I'm scared to blindly enable them without a good reason to do so as I haven't seen some of them used in a production environment before. 1) IGP LDP Sync. I am really looking for some direction as to where it makes sense or not to use. The same is also true for the IGP LDP startup delay timers. 2) OSPF timers or BFD? Currently my approach has been ospf timers of 1/4, its fast and seems pretty compatible with everything I have tried it on. All of my links are direct between routed ports so there are no intermediate devices that would keep a link lit after equipment failure. I know BFD makes sense but some of my code is old and linecards are flakey so I'm curious to know who has ditched low timers for BFD or vice versa. 3) OSPF costing, automatic bandwidth-based or manual costing of PE-P and P-P links? I have seen both used in production before, I do have 10gig interfaces and 40gig port-channels so I would need to alter the ospf reference bandwidth if auto-costing. 4) MTU on p2p gigabit ethernet links. Currently I have stolen another list members MTU settings using 1530 for global & mpls MTU, and 1524 as IP MTU on all PE-P and P-P interfaces. I don't have any jumbo frame requirements, but do have upstream providers that may not support jumbo so I'm trying to keep the MTU fairly low. 5) Other knobs and tweeks? I'm usually a minimalist, I go forward with the default settings and test, then alter as little as I need to meet any special needs. With that in mind, I do expect to find things that are necessary to modify but really would like to see wide adoption or clear requirements in doing so. Thank you for your time, please feel free to share anything off list if you don't want to disclose it to the general public. I really value the opinions that list members have provided thus far, John _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
