I really think Geoffrey is onto the true cause.    I have never had a problem 
when inserting cards confidently.   It is also worth noting that while it does 
stall the bus, DFC forwarded traffic is unaffected.    We run 100% DFCs in all 
of our 6500s and the only traffic I have seen dropped during the brief stall is 
pings or routing updates towards the box, forwarded traffic keeps going along 
nicely.

It is also worth noting that SSO is similar on 6500/7600s, it really only works 
well when the box is all DFC based. 

Thanks,
John van Oppen / AS11404

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Geoffrey Pendery
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:56 AM
To: John Neiberger
Cc: Gert Doering; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

I'll second Gert - I've personally performed close to 100 OIRs on a
variety of 6500 chassis, and never had it cause a problem.

There was a previous thread almost exactly like this, BTW - if you
feel like searching the archive.  It was half-filled with "OIR always
fails, I call it Online Insert and Reboot!" and half-filled with "I've
never had a problem, ever.  Works like a charm."  A couple people
explained the bus stall behavior:
As you're sliding the blade in, it stalls the bus when it first makes
contact, then releases the stall once it's all the way in.

My take-away from that thread was that it's a self-fulfilling
prophecy:  The techs who approach it confidently, expecting no
problems, slide the blade in quickly and experience none.  The techs
who are worried and skeptical, slide the blade in slowly and
cautiously - and their caution leads to a reboot.

That said, the others in this thread are also correct - if your RP is
doing stuff on tight timers, especially BFD, even a very short bus
stall can still be service impacting.  And of course, it's better to
plan a maintenance window expecting problems and be pleasantly
surprised than to assume it's no big deal and get hit with an outage.


-Geoff


On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Gert Doering <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 03:01:21PM -0700, John Neiberger wrote:
>> I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on OIR on this platform. Is
>> this something that you prefer to avoid? Do you have any OIR-related
>> horror stories you'd like to share?
>
> On 6500/7600 (and 7200), we *never* had any issues.
>
> On 7500, the "R" in "OIR" translates to "Reboot".
>
> gert
> --
> USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
>                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             [email protected]
> fax: +49-89-35655025                        [email protected]
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to