On 03/03/2011 03:30 AM, Aaron Riemer wrote:
Hey guys,
Can someone please explain to me the difference between ingress and egress
queues on catalyst switches?
Ingress queues are more or less useless[1], since most Catalyst switches
have non-blocking (or nearly so) fabric/interconnects.
Egress queues are useful, for all the "normal" reasons.
I always thought Ingress was traffic coming 'in' to the switch port from a
device and egress traffic coming out of the port but I don't think this is
correct?
You were right. Ingress/Egress are from the perspective of the switch.
Does a packet first go through the ingress queue and then to the egress
queue before it is 'switched'.
Yes
I have been trying to find some good documentation to aid my understanding
in this area. If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly
appreciated.
The QoS SRND is useful for background info on Catalyst QoS. Other links
have been posted to the list fairly recently - have a look at the archives.
Regards,
Phil
[1] If you believe the explanation in the QoS SRND, which I find
reasonably convincing.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/