Hi everyone.

We're looking at some kind of replacement for our 3550-12Ts which are currently being used as the "routers" at our edges. Since these are layer 3 switches, there are also some vlans that transit through the device but realistically they don't have to. It's just how I inherited this network and how some vlan paths are built.

I recently found out by reading some posts and confirming in our lab that the 3550 platform doesn't properly support IPv6 so we are looking to replace them with something that can do what the current config does along with providing IPv6 support (dual stack).

We've looked at the 3560/3750s but they are limited to only 64 policers whereas the 3550s can do up to 128 on the Gig ports. The total number of routes they can hold also seems low on these devices (somewhere around 12K or 20K).

I asked Cisco and they recommended the ME3600X but this product looks too new and full IPv6 support is not even ready yet (as per their response).

Considering we need some new, cheap router/layer3 switch that can:
- police at least 128 customers
- run OSPFv3
- support a fair amount of routes
- support dual stack IPv6
- need at least 4-6 Gig interfaces

would you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Jose

P.S. I've tried recommending a refurb'd 7301 with a dual FE port adapter but I do get some raised eyebrows at the cost of ~$8K.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to