Hello group, I have a customer with a few 3560/3750's and one 4500/SUP5 acting as the core switch.
For some reason, when a user start one multicast stream, the 4500 suffers high cpu utilization and the network is affected. Only the 4500 suffers of this problem, the 3560/3750's don't have any complaints. I see that the 4500 is a CEF based platform and I know that IP Multicast is not supported in the CEF path. So I was expecting to have this traffic switched in hardware or fast-switched. But a packet capture shows me that the traffic goes to the cpu. I used this debug and output to confirm this: debug platform packet all receive buffer show platform cpu packet buffered The processes that eat most of the cpu are "Cat4k Mgmt LoPri" and "Cat4k Mgmt HiPri". We thought this could be a bug and we upgraded the 4500 to the latest release but the problem is exactly the same. The multicast stream is processed by the cpu. Anyone has seen this before ? Is this normal behavior of the 4500 ? Usually the multicast streams are destined to 224.x.x.x. The end users do not respect the 239 rule. Thanks. Regards, Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP) [email protected] http://www.ccie18473.net _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
