To be honest, that was our thought as well. We have a 7k down in the lab right now and we are burning it up trying to get L3vpn, Mvpn, TE, RSVP, 6vpe, with all the usual fixings up and running. The only major area where a real router blows the 7k out of the water is to do QOS. If you are looking at it from an enterprise perspective, it fits the bill rather nicely though.
The only reason that it hasn't been done before is because all of the MPLS features were first released this summer in NXOS 5.2. It does indeed feel very "first release of code" in some of its behavior. I have already thrown a couple feature enhancement requests over the wall though and we will hopefully have any of our concerns addressed before rolling one of these out into production. If you would like to test something on our lab 7k PE or talk offline just shoot me an email. I know I'm not the only person on the list doing very similar testing right now with the 7k/9k PE/P roles. (>.> looking at you Q.) John -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Phil Mayers Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:48 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [c-nsp] N7k as Enterprise core MPLS P/PE I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this platform as an MPLS P/PE router. It probably seems odd, and that an ASR9k might be a more obvious choice, but for an enterprise MPLS core router it has a few nice properties - lots of 10gig, goes fast, decent OS and commonality of sparing and parts with the datacentre (if you use them there). I'm assuming an ASR9k is a lot more expensive than an N7k? Why *wouldn't* you buy an N7k in this role? Just pondering... Cheers, Phil _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
