+1

We don't have a formal port channel naming schema. I usually use 1-10 for things like ISLs between core and stuff and then start with 11-XXX for all the port channels to various downstream devices. That said, the interface description is still the most important part of our gear.

Now on the interfaces, if it's just L2, I use something like:

interf gi0/1
desc hostname of device I'm connecting to (port I'm connecting to)

And then if it's L3
desc hostname of device I'm connecting to (IP of device)

Works for port channels too....

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer



On 3/7/2012 8:34 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
On Mar 7, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

On 07/03/2012 14:16, chris stand wrote:
thoughts/ideas/concerns
This works fine until you try it on smaller boxes and you find out that
they only support port-channel names up to 48 or whatever.  Then you have a
moment of extreme facepalm and go back to Po1, Po2 and Po3.
I've found 'show interface description' and a well thought out (and machine 
parseable) standard for naming works well.

This way you can just find what you want quickly.  CDP and LLDP can also assist 
you in documenting ports as well, though some people don't like the information 
leakage.

- Jared
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to