Thanks for the extra info, You're right of course that the 2600 has a fan. However, it will only be operated in a fairly cool (60-65 F ambient) environment, with no other heat producing equipment near it, so if the noise is too great, I should be able to replace or alter the fan to trade off CFM for dB. Also, from what I've heard, the unmodified fan is said to be fairly quiet. (Obviously, that depends upon the ear of the beholder, though.)
As for the power, I've seen that 75W figure at various places on the Internet too. However, I have a friend with a 2600 series in production and he measured the power consumption of his, and it varied from 12-15W (while passing traffic, but with no additional NM/WIC/etcs installed). Since I won't need any NMs or WICs, I suspect mine should fall in this range too, which is pretty decent. Thanks again, Rusty On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Tony <[email protected]> wrote: > Possibly the reason more people may not have suggested 2600 is that two of > your requirements were: > > * quiet/silent > * low power consumtion > > The 2600 series is fairly quiet, but it does have a fan in it and so is > NOT silent. > > In terms of power consumption, it's a real pig compared to some of the > other suggestions offered. > > c2600 - 75W > c871 - 26W > RB750 - 2.5W > > We use a lot of 2600xm routers (which have 2x 10/100 ports on them) for > low speed connections (up to 8Mbps) without any problems so they are a good > little performer, but I never thought of them being a match given the > criteria you gave. > > Best of luck with your project. > > > regards, > Tony. > > ------------------------------ > *From:* Rusty Dekema <[email protected]> > *To:* [email protected] > *Sent:* Monday, 23 July 2012 7:08 AM > > *Subject:* Re: [c-nsp] Small, Low Power Cisco Router Recommendation > > I ended up ordering a c2621 from the 'bay for the faster application, and > scrounged a free c2514* from a friend for the slower one. Thank you, > Walter, for the 2610 series recommendation, and thanks to the rest of you > for your numerous good alternative suggestions. > > *I found it interesting that you need an early 12.2(T) or a much later 12.2 > or 12.3 IOS for this router in order to configure an Ethernet interface as > a DHCP client. I guess in those days, there was very little reason you > would ever do that on a router; especially one this expensive. > > Thanks again, > Rusty D > > > On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Rusty Dekema <[email protected]> wrote: > > > Good evening, > > > > This question is a bit far afield for this list, but I need a reliable, > > quiet-or-silent, low-power-consumption Cisco router with two 10 or 10/100 > > Ethernet ports. All they need to do is do a default route with NAT > between > > the Ethernet interfaces. One of them will only have to handle 1 mbit > (max) > > of traffic; the other could receive traffic bursts up to 30 mbit, > although > > it would still be acceptable if it can only push 10-15mbit. > > > > Low cost, quiet/silent operation, and low power consumption are the > > primary requirements here. Any suggestions? > > > > Thanks, > > Rusty D > > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > > > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
