On 10/26/2012 08:51 PM, Dan Letkeman wrote:
Hello,

Curious as to what everyone is using for config management for
switches.  I have a few hundred 2960's and 3560's to manage on a
regular basis, and I would like to have something that can make mass
config changes.

One thing that's particularly handy for this is the SCP server in IOS, which allows you to copy to "running-config":

cat >CFG <<EOF
no vlan 10
vlan 20
...
end
EOF

scp CFG admin@switch:running-config

Generally when I want to make mass changes, I write a small python script to walk over the IOS configs and output the changes I need to a per-switch config file, inspect all (or a representative portion if there are a lot) for sanity, then fire off a parallel SCP of the files.

This is really just a snazzier version of loading a config fragment from TFTP, but ends up being quite a bit more usable.

Of course, if Cisco weren't a bunch of halfwits, we'd have Netconf support on all the platforms, and if they *really* wanted to push the boat out, the Netconf implementation would hook into the actual parser/NVGEN and "show" command *backends* - as opposed to the current implementation, which uses a separate "grammar" file to transform the line-based data (config and show commands) into and from XML. Then you wouldn't have the "hilarious" situation of a Netconf implementation that can't actually operate the CLI on the box, because the one guy who wrote it has left or moved on, and the grammar file is out of sync...

</rant>

For all their faults, the one thing Juniper *own* is a structured way to talk to the box. It's 2012, Cisco - man up and get this crap sorted.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to