RP = control plan brains. The differences in RP will be CPU power and
memory. I can't find exact CPU numbers but I'm pretty sure the RP2 is
faster

FP/ESP = data plane horsepower. Your pps numbers come from the ESP
capabilities. The larger the ESP the more packets per second. There
will also be impact with the scalability of data plane features like
nat or acls.

SIP = module performance. All modules aggregate to the ESP for actual
forwarding decision but the ability to support a bps rate will be
based on the capabilities of the SIP.

For 20gig aggregate you might be able to get away with a ASR1002-X



On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Simon Lockhart <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cisco-NSP'ers,
>
> Due to a requirement to deploy CGN, I'm looking at the Cisco ASR1k range for
> the first time, and I'm a little confused about the different variants of
> RP, ESP, SIP, etc - and I'm hoping someone can clarify things a bit.
>
> I'm looking for a box which can route 10GE to 10GE at linerate.
>
> What's the difference between the RP1 and RP2? The only obvious difference 
> from
> reading the datasheets is the amount of memory?
>
> With the ESP, because I want to route 10GE to 10GE, is it right that I need 
> the
> ESP20, as I'm looking at 2 * 10GBps of traffic (ingres + egress)?
>
> Likewise with the SIP, the SIP10 won't be fast enough for full 10GE to 10GE, 
> so
> I need the SIP40?
>
> Bringing this all together, if I'm looking for a box that can do 10GE to 10GE,
> then the smallest ASR1k that will do this is the ASR1002-X? As well as the
> chassis, I'd need to buy the 20Gbps license, the IP Base license for the RP,
> and 2 * 10GE SPAs?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Simon
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to