I asked Craig Hill about the feature pointing him to your support forum post. 
He said there is no special signaling. The route map does all the work. 

David
--
I'm currently all thumbs so I apologize for the short message.

On Jan 31, 2013, at 3:07 AM, "John Neiberger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bet you're right. I should keep digging for some Cisco Live presentation or 
> something. I was hoping someone from Cisco would respond and explain the 
> magic fairy dust in this configuration. As you said, it must be that the 
> inbound route-map  also causes the neighbors to use SAFI 64 in outbound 
> updates. The docs I've seen so far don't say how it happens, they just said, 
> "And in this step, magic happens" or something similar.  :)
> 
> John
> 
> 
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Adam Vitkovsky <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
>> Aah I see, so it’s got to be the route-map than, mapping the particular 
>> neighbor with a profile –causing the neighbors to negotiate safi 64 support.
>> 
>> You could try issuing  “sh ip b vpnv4 a nei x.x.x.x” to see whether safi 64 
>> has indeed been negotiated between the peers.
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> I bet the insides are explained in some cisco presentation.
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> adam
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> From: John Neiberger [mailto:[email protected]] 
>> Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:16 PM
>> To: David Prall
>> Cc: Adam Vitkovsky; [email protected]
>> 
>> 
>> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] MPLS VPN over mGRE
>>  
>> 
>> That's exactly right. The part I can't figure out is what triggers the 
>> proper signalling. The BGP config for outbound vpnv4 updates looks like 
>> standard L3VPN. I'm trying to understand what causes it to send the tunnel 
>> information in the NLRI. I believe it is using SAFI 64. What causes it to 
>> use SAFI 64 instead of 128, which is what would normally be used for MPLS 
>> VPNs?
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> That's the part that's baking my noodle. I'm just not sure how it's working 
>> under the hood.
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> John
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM, David Prall <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Sounds like you are using BGP Signaled MPLS VPN over mGRE which uses a
>> Route-Map on the neighbor relationship to provide the tunnel information.
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/interface/configuration/xe-3s/ir
>> -mpls-vpnomgre-xe.html
>> 
>> David
>> 
>> --
>> http://dcp.dcptech.com
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> > -----Original Message-----
>> > From: [email protected] [mailto:cisco-nsp-
>> > [email protected]] On Behalf Of John Neiberger
>> > Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:55 AM
>> > To: Adam Vitkovsky
>> > Cc: [email protected]
>> > Subject: Re: [c-nsp] MPLS VPN over mGRE
>> >
>> 
>> > The type of MPLS VPN over mGRE that we're using doesn't use a
>> > preconfigured
>> > tunnel interface or NHRP. As I understand it, the peers share
>> > tunnel-related information in vpnv4 updates using a SAFI of 64. This tells
>> > the other peers that those prefixes are related to the mgre tunnel and
>> that
>> > signals the receiving router to set up an adjacency over the multipoint
>> > tunnel, but I'm not quite sure how it does this. I don't understand what
>> > element of the config tells the router to use SAFI 64 in the vpnv4 updates
>> > instead of just treating them like regular L3VPN vpnv4 updates. It's kind
>> > of confusing. There seems to be a lot of magic happening under the hood
>> > here that I'm missing.
>> >
>> > John
>> >
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Adam Vitkovsky
>> > <[email protected]>wrote:
>> >
>> > > Wow they really shrunk it down to three commands plus the route-map,
>> > now
>> > > that's something.
>> > >
>> > > > or is there some other mechanism that triggers tunnel endpoint
>> > discovery?
>> > > I believe since it's called mGRE it has to be NHRP taking care of
>> > > everything
>> > > in the background.
>> > > Does the loopback IP has to be allocated from a common range that has to
>> > be
>> > > shared among the PEs?
>> > >
>> > > I thought it's done via standard mGRE tunnels:
>> > >
>> > > interface Tunnel0
>> > > ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
>> > > ip mtu 1440
>> > > ip nhrp authentication cisco123
>> > > ip nhrp map multicast dynamic
>> > > ip nhrp network-id 1
>> > > tunnel source FastEthernet0/0
>> > > tunnel mode gre multipoint
>> > > tunnel key 0
>> > > ip router isis 1
>> > >
>> > > -maybe "mpls ip" cmd. wouldn't work with mGRE Tunnel Int.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > adam
>> > >
>> > >
>> 
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
>> > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
>> > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>> 
> 
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to