I believe F5 Networks makes some of the best hardware load balancers I've ever 
worked with. 

Beyond the basic features all h/w LBs support, iRules give you programmatic 
access to Layer7 traffic management functions and also allow for in-line 
payload manipulations, and there is a big, diverse and very active user 
community (devcentral.f5.com).

I am not a fan of the one-arm configuration and I've only deployed that twice 
to production.  F5 works extremely well (I think better) in a routed 
configuration. I do not like SNAT and F5 does not require it for any protocol - 
as long as the back-end servers route back through the F5. 

I've federated many non-HTTP protocols without issue using F5.

F5 supports IPv6 through the entire stack (at least all modules I've worked 
with) including the dynamic routing modules. It also supports NAT64 for those 
situations where you can't deploy IPv6 end-to-end, but want to retain a public 
IPv6 interface to services.

In general, my experience with F5 is unparalleled and I wouldn't choose to 
operate any other brand of Hardware LB in production.

I'll pre-empt the obvious follow-up question: No, I do not, and have never 
worked for F5 networks.

Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Matthew Huff
Sent: February-04-13 10:14 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: [c-nsp] Replacement for Cisco ACE load balancers

We have a pair of Cisco ACE-20 blades in our core 6500 data center switches. 
Since Cisco has EOL the ACE blades and we are retiring our 6500s (moving to 
Nexus 5000), we are looking for a replacement load balancing hardware. This is 
for high-availability rather than scalability. Our throughput needs are very 
low so we are looking at the bottom end of vendors appliances.

We are looking at F5, Foundry (Brocade), and Citrix Netscaler. Anyone else go 
through this and have recommendations/horror stories/info they would like to 
share? Thanks.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff        | Fax:   914-460-4139


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to