Thanks Andrew.... Q1 - Why do you want MPLS on the top of rack switch? A1 - L2VPN's...L3VPN's... Yes, 10 feet away is my Cisco ASR9006 MPLS PE edge box, so yes I could simply do 802.1q from tor switch to that 9k and then jump into mpls LxVPN's there.....perhaps this would be a way for me to keep the cost down on the TOR switch.
Q2 - Do you need 1G, or 10G interfaces, and how many of them? Why do you need 5? Would something like a pair of 5Ks and FEXs not do what you are after? A2 - 10G and about 5 of them per switch. (2) Data Centers, with (2) cabinets each. So (4) TOR switches....and we spare one of everything we have for quick disaster recovery incase of outage.... so 5 Q3 - IIRC, the HP 5900s only support 16K routes - which could be a problem on an MPLS network. A3 - My MPLS network is just that, mine. I am a small ISP. I own the whole mpls network....currently 209 routes....it will grow, but not to thousands. And if I do ospf area's and route summarization at area boundaries down the road, I could probably still keep route table small. 3600#sh ip route summ | in Route|Total Route Source Networks Subnets Replicates Overhead Memory (bytes) Total 4 209 0 12900 47784 Q3.1 - Can't you just trunk the various VLANs back to a PE/ pair of PEs? A3.1 - yes, I could.... should I? Would you/you all prefer mpls to the ToR edge to jump into and out of mpls LxVPN's right there? Or is it not worth paying for? Seems reminiscent of ATM....and the powers realized by getting atm closer and closer to the edge...but then always wondering, perhaps I could simply just vlan into the atm lane elan/pvc/pvp and be done with it. Hmmmm Q4 - I think the QFX will be too expensive for your budget. IIRC, the EX4500s also have the not enough routes supported issue.... A4 - 209 routes currently. I see EX4550 does mpls. Don't know how much it costs though...gonna talk to Juniper this morning in webex. Is ex4550 a good box? Aaron -----Original Message----- From: Andrew Miehs [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:08 AM To: Aaron Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: [c-nsp] data center/mpls/vpls On 13/04/2013, at 12:57 AM, Aaron <[email protected]> wrote: > I would like mpls capability in it. Does anyone say that > mpls/vpls/l3vpn/l2vpn is good to top of rack data center level? Seems > like more flexibility and strength to me with using all those nice mpls features. Why do you want MPLS on the top of rack switch? > I would like a pair of top-of-rack devices that can mirror one another > if possible too, like cisco's 6509-vss thing.or at least like nexus > vpc (multichassis link aggregation/bundling) > The Nexus 5Ks are pretty cheap and good if you only need L2. > What vendor has something that can do all that? Oh, I'm trying to > stay around $75K for 5 of them. Do you need 1G, or 10G interfaces, and how many of them? Why do you need 5? Would something like a pair of 5Ks and FEXs not do what you are after? > HP tells me their 5900/5920 can do most of this and mpls is on roadmap > for end of year.l3vpn, maybe l2vpn beyond that. IIRC, the HP 5900s only support 16K routes - which could be a problem on an MPLS network. Can't you just trunk the various VLANs back to a PE/ pair of PEs? > Juniper ? don't know.but I see on their web site something about > QFX3500, EX4500, EX4550 but haven't look at them yet. I think the QFX will be too expensive for your budget. IIRC, the EX4500s also have the not enough routes supported issue.... Regards Andrew _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
