On , [email protected] wrote:
Hi,

I have an IPsec tunnel between Cisco 1841 and ZyXEL routers over public
Internet. I do not have access to ZyXEL router. According to "show
crypto session" IPsec tunnel is up and active. This IPsec tunnel
connects 192.168.157.0/24 and 192.168.136.0/24 networks over the
Internet. Now if I send an ICMP "echo request" message from Cisco
router to ZyXEL router, I will not receive an ICMP "echo reply":

r1#ping 192.168.136.2 source 192.168.157.1 repeat 1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 1, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.136.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 192.168.157.1 .
Success rate is 0 percent (0/1)
r1#

..but for some reason "packets in" and "packets out" counters in "sh
crypto engine accelerator statistic" output are incremented by two.
This should indicate that router received the ICMP "echo reply" and it
was processed by onboard VPN module. If I ping an IP address in
192.168.136.0/24 network, which is not configured(for example
192.168.136.123), then "packets in" and "packets out" counters in "sh
crypto engine accelerator statistic" are incremented by one. In
addition, if I configure an ACL to WAN interface on Cisco router, I can
see ingress ESP packets from this particular ZyXEL router. As I said,
its on Cisco 1841 router and I'm using onboard hardware VPN module. IOS
image is c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-24.T6.bin. I checked the open
caveats and bugs for this particular IOS, but did not find anything.

Any ideas what might cause such behavior? Or am I doing something
wrong?

Enable ip flow ingres and ip flow egres on the c1841 to see
the pakets with s hip cache flow (you need globally ip cef, of course),
esp. src and dst ip addresses.

Perhaps the zyxel NATtes the paket to the remote router,
Or sends an icmp admin. Prohibited back thru the vpn tunnel ?

Something else to try as well: Create an access-list to define the traffic patterns you are looking to validate. Then use debug ip packet referencing that access-list to watch the packets in real time. If you make the access-list broad enough to capture all ICMP types for the source/destination, you could validate what you're receiving back in response to the ICMP echo request.

BTW, you could not ping a PIX'es LAN Interface thru vpn-tunnel,
While it works fine between two cisco routers.

You can if you use the "management-access <ifname>" command. This is very handy for monitoring purposes. This also allows management of the device through a VPN tunnel if permitted. In addition, this allows you to source a packet from that firewall interface to trigger a tunnel to come up if it's part of the encryption domain. I've even seen it used creatively to bring dynamic tunnels up by configuring an NTP server across a tunnel. :) Not that any of this has anything to do with the ZyXEL of course...

-Vinny
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to