I guess that's what I get for skimming too quickly. :) thanks! I did find it interesting that during our testing we saw two different log messages on the receiving router:
%ROUTING-BGP-5-ADJCHANGE : neighbor a.b.c.d Down - Peer closing down the session (CEASE notification sent - administrative shutdown) (VRF: default) %ROUTING-BGP-5-ADJCHANGE : neighbor a.b.c.d Down - Peer closing down the session (VRF: default) Sometimes we would see the first, other times we would see the second. I assume that in the first case we are, in fact, receiving a CEASE notification. In the second case, I'm thinking maybe the TCP session is simply being torn down but we have not received a CEASE message. Either way, it seems that it would be correct behavior to immediately remove that neighbor's routes from the routing table and BGP table, which is not what we were seeing. The routes were not being removed from the routing table until the graceful restart timer expired. It was certainly unexpected. Thanks again! John On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Phil Mayers <[email protected]>wrote: > On 21/05/13 16:31, John Neiberger wrote: > > What are your thoughts on this? What sort of behavior should we be >> expecting? >> > > Well, RFC 4724 says: > > It is noted that the normal BGP procedures MUST be followed when the > TCP session terminates due to the sending or receiving of a BGP > NOTIFICATION message. > > "Cease" of course being a NOTIFICATION. > > This is also relevant: > > http://tools.ietf.org/html/**draft-keyupate-idr-bgp-gr-**extension-00<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-keyupate-idr-bgp-gr-extension-00> > ______________________________**_________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/**mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp<https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp> > archive at > http://puck.nether.net/**pipermail/cisco-nsp/<http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/> > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
