Anyone care to comment on trying to go from a 40gig port to a 10gig port over 
300 meters?

I seem to have discovered that the QSFP+ standard for 10 gig is not flexible 
for long-haul applications.

I am deploying a couple Nexus 6004's (mixed 40gig and 10gig) for various 
distances but can't seem to find a basic way to connect without having to 
commit budget suicide.

One of the selling points of the QSFP+ standard is that you can use a 
break-away cable for 10gig applications, right?

Well, seems not really.  Here are the 10gig options in a 40Gig port:

-For 10 meter or less the solution is to use a 
QSFP-to-4xSFP10G-splitter/break-away/twinax cable.  Check.

-For 300 meter or less use QSFP-40G-SR4 with a MPO-to-4xLC 
splitter/break-away/fiber cable (multimode).  (Looks like this: 
http://support.f5.com/kb/global/manual_images/MAN-0423-00/img_qsfp_breakout_cable.png)
  Check.

-For 300m-10km use.....?

Seems there is no option here.  The QSFP-40G/E-LR4 doesn't have an MPO 
connector like its' SR4 counterpart, so there is no MPO break-away option to 
choose from if I want to go 10gig over singlemode.

I can't be the only person who has tried this?  Seems like a flaw in the 
standard to not allow you to connect 10gig beyond 300 meters right out of the 
box for devices that have QSFP ports.

"Dear IEEE.  My budget hates your standard.  XOXO."

tal
meltdown prevention
8-oh-five-two-five-nine-eight-seven-69
/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to