On Nov 4, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
>> Because you can't ever be "done" therefore it needs a rewrite into the
>> cool new thing. Except Cisco's web team is somewhat behind; they're on
>> Java applets right now. Give them another 5-10 years to discover jQuery.
>
> And the cool new thing will never be 'done' either.  Perpetual development is
> often a bad thing because it leads to loss of focus, scope creep, and lots of
> other buzzwords that generally have a negative connotation. Cisco's marketing
> group having a bunch of 'innovators' they need to keep busy, and Cisco's web
> team having a bunch of developers that they need to keep busy is not a valid
> reason to innovate for innovation's sake.
>
> If Java is needed just to get basic communication between the TAC and myself
> (open cases, update cases, research contracts, download software, look up bug
> IDs, etc) working, they're doing it wrong.  All of those things are possible
> without having to add another layer of bloat to the stack.

What strikes me as incredibly odd about making this java-centric is that after
the rash of java plugin vulnerabilities I have to imagine many corporate
environments have completely rolled out a desktop policy that nukes the java
browser plugin from orbit.  How many support customers must there be in a
position where they simply cannot access TAC due to this change?  What are they
doing, bringing in a laptop from home and opening cases at the nearest
Starbucks?