Hi ASA firewall gurus,

I recently upgraded a pair of ASA 5520's from 8.2(5)48 up to 9.1(5). I followed 
the outlined upgrade path. I've got a DMZ with public IP's and no NAT involved 
on one interface. Here, everything works as expected. The is another inside 
interface which has dynamic NAT setup to an external IP address. After the 
upgrade I found that through the NAT I wasn't able to ping or traceroute from 
the inside network as I had previously been able to do. I've always allowed 
echo-reply in the outside interface as well as ttl-exceeded in the access-list 
applied to it. I eventually found that the global_policy policy map which 
references the class inspection_default didn't have icmp inspection or icmp 
error inspection enabled. I enabled both and pings started working. The odd 
thing is that even with icmp error inspection enabled, traceroutes still do not 
work through NAT like they did in 8.2. It's behaving exactly like icmp error 
inspection isn't enabled, but it clearly is and I've removed an!
 d added it back multiple times. The icmp inspection does affect pings from the 
inside network if I remove and add it back, but icmp error inspection never 
permits traceroute to work through the NAT regardless of adding and removing 
it. Again, traceroute works fine from the DMZ with no NAT and traceroute also 
works fine via IPv6 from both the DMZ and inside networks. It's only a problem 
with NAT.

I've been going through this configuration trying to find anything that could 
be causing this but I'm coming up short. No packet captures or debugs are 
showing anything useful either other than confirming the TTL exceeded messages 
are hitting the outside interface from each hop. It seems the ASA is just not 
translating it and passing it through to the originator running the traceroute. 
I've got other firewalls that are also running a 9.1(x) version that have no 
problem including 9.1(5). I'm beginning to think this is some sort of artifact 
of having upgrading the Active/Passive pair up through 9.1(5) and never having 
fully taken down the set at the same time as I was trying to maintain uptime 
and doing so was supported by Cisco as long as I follow the proper upgrade path.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I'm thinking I might just schedule 
a time to reboot both simultaneously at this point. If that fails, I might need 
to go to Cisco TAC, but I thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks!

-Vinny

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to