On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Jeffrey G. Fitzwater wrote:

Q1 Since BGP is NFS aware but only after the second SUP is installed, will BGP peering stop and restart? We see that two of our ISP are currently sending GRACEFUL RESTART messages but our end is not yet because no secondary sup.

We have been installing dual supervisors in several of our core 6500s over the past few months, and it's been my experience that you might lose a packet or two, but not enough to trigger BGP hold timers. We don't have Cisco gear at our Internet borders, however I recall IBGP chugging right along with no major headaches.

Q2 What happens with the RIP routes?
We know we have to move to OSPF, but thats another day;  Soon I hope.

I can't speak to how RIP behaves, but OSPF and OSPFv3 run pretty much without a hitch.

I would definitely plan for a few brief outages as you install the second sups, however if anyone sees any blips, most likely they will resolve themselves before people can pick up the phone.

FWIW, this is also in a large .edu environment.

jms
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to