On Sat Jan 17, 2015 at 10:53:01AM +0200, Chris Knipe wrote: > I'm still confused :-( Sorry. The only other line card in the chassis > would be one WS-X6748-GE-TX which is a 48 Port 10/100/1000 card.
With 6704 and 6748-GE-TX you'll be in CEF720 switching mode, not classic. This will give you the full 30Mpps switching with CFC's. > Yes, the SUP720 comes with MSFC3/PFC3 standard (we will be upgrading > memory on the SUP as well as the MFC to 1G, the max supported), and it > states it can deliver up to 40Gbps per slot. But from what you've > mentioned, we will thus now be limited to 15Mpps which is clearly not > going to be enough. If you're only doing layer 2 switching and no routing, then you shouldn't need to upgrade the RAM - this is used more for route storage (RIB). > The SUP720-3B is perhaps also an option, but if I have to start > looking at the 720-3BXL then it's becoming very expensive, yet again. Consider looking at refurb / 2nd-user - either official Cisco refurb or 3rd party. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the pricing. > Do I then also understand correctly that in the case of a SUP720-3B I > need to purchase a WS-X6708-10G-3C and in the case of a SUP720-3BXL we > are talking about a WS-X6708-10G-3CXL (there are no 4-port line card > available with a DFC daughter card), or are these special versions > with the daughter cards only required to lower the impact of the > contention on the 8-port cards? The 6708 is an odd card - it has the DFC 'soldered in', so it's not field replaceable/upgradeable. The difference between 3B and 3BXL is purely the number of layer 3 routes it can hold in the FIB. If you're only doing L2, then this won't give you any benefits. > Would the same also hold true then on a SUP720-3B or SUP720-3BXL in > the case of a WS-X6704-10GE, or would the bigger (better) SUP have no > problem with smashing the 15/30Mpps to pieces and deliver true 10Gbps > per port? I'm not after 100% guaranteed 10Gbps per port on the line > card, but I most certainly don't want to spend all this money and only > get like ~3Gbps per port either. You won't get true line rate on all 4 ports on a 6704. They're well known as having performance issues due to underpowered ASICs. We've been seeing about 25-30Gbps of aggregate traffic (general internet traffic, adding in+out on all ports) before they run out of steam. > What other options (except Nexus) would there be that can deliver ~8 x > 10GE (fiber) and 48 x 1GE at an affordable rate? Depends on your total traffic requirements. SUP720 + 6704 + 6748-GE-TX (+ 6724-SFP if I need fibre) is still my work-horse of choice for a Cisco switch offering both 10G and 1G ports. On the used market, these blades are available very cheaply. > Nexus is WAY over my > budget (and the reason why we're looking at the 6500 instead), and it > would seem (to me at least) I am stuck between a rock and a hard place > in terms of acquiring a low port density 10G switch at an affordable > price. Although I don't use it myself (as I use Extreme X460 switches for this purpose), you may find something in the Nexus 3000 range which fits your requirements. > Sorry for all the questions, in my 15 odd years of networking, this is > the first time that I will be entering the 10GE arena, so I really > want to just make sure that I get the correct kit from the start. > These toys aren't cheap :-( Wait until you want 40G or 100G - then you'll realise that 10G stuff is cheap :) Simon -- Simon Lockhart | * Server Co-location * ADSL * Domain Registration * Director | * Domain & Web Hosting * Connectivity * Consultancy * Bogons Ltd | * http://www.bogons.net/ * Email: [email protected] * _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
