Thanks, Chuck, for the helpful response. My further research corroborates what you say.
Miercom has an interesting study showing enabling QoS on 4431 does not affect total throughput: http://miercom.com/pdf/reports/20150817.pdf. However, enabling FnF & NBAR2 might ... It looks like getting the base 4431 and adding the AX license is less expensive than ordering the AX bundle, which also comes with a SEC license. Currently not sure if AX license is required on 4431 to support FnF. It looks like it's required for NBAR2, though. Adam -----Original Message----- From: Chuck Church [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:41 PM To: 'Adam Greene' <[email protected]>; [email protected] Subject: RE: [c-nsp] ISR4431-AX/K9 Isn't WAAS their WAN acceleration product? I don't think NBAR has any reliance on that. You just use NBAR to identify the traffic, then normal QOS policy to do something with it. I haven't done it on an ASR or ISR 4K, but that's how it's worked on all previous devices. Chuck -----Original Message----- From: cisco-nsp [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Adam Greene Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:04 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ISR4431-AX/K9 Kind of worried based on http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3900-series-integra ted-services-routers-isr/guide_c07-726864.html that I'm also going to have to buy: ISR4430U-MEM-SSD DRAM upgrade to 16GB, Flash Memory upgrade to 16GB, NIM Carrier and 200GB SSD Bundle Not sure if WAAS is required for NBAR2, though, or even if not, if I should use WAAS instead, or if they are synonymous. And 1300 WAAS Optimized TCP Connections seems tiny, considering the ASA 5520 in line with it reports high water marks of up to 187,000 connections, though averages about half that probably. Maybe WAAS connections are not the same, though . From: Adam Greene [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:50 AM To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]> Subject: ISR4431-AX/K9 Hey guys, If I need a router that can do application based bandwidth throttling (NBAR2) at 500M-1G aggregate throughput, ISR4431-AX/K9 should do the trick, right? It seems to provide the features and throughput. Please tell me if I'm wrong (other services enabled on the router will be limited to BGP and OSPF). Thanks, Adam _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
