I'd go 5.3.3 with SP2 if you want stability, or wait for 6.1 to drop
if you want to be on the forefront (and lab test heavily of course).

I'd also schedule like 5 hours for the maintenance window, not 2 or 3.
If you get 90% of the way through an have to roll back, you'll need
more time. We are doing it in pretty much bang on 2 hours every time
(assuming no issues), if you have to roll back (what may involve
erasing the box and reinstalling the previous version from scratch)
that will take you another 2 hours. Add some checks and stabiliy time
either side, it's a 5 to 6 hour window (although assuming there are no
problems, 2 hours actual time).

Cheers,
James.