Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 12:56:46PM +0200, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Core1(config-subif)#int gi4/9.100
> Core1(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1Q 100
> Command rejected: VLAN 100 cannot be allocated. VLANs 1-1005 are VTP VLANs
> VTP mode is client or server and must be changed to Transparent/Off to use
> VLANs 1-1005
>
> Yes, of course. I do have VTP. And a VTP database. Including VLAN 100.
> But this is for *switched* ports like so:

There are no "non-switched" ports on a 6500.  VLAN space is global, so
"tag 100" on one port is "the global vlan 100"

(Unless you add vlan translation, which is not as flexible as it could be)

[..]
> Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying? Other than moving
> the connection in question to a completely different chassis?

use a different tag :-) - and yes, this is one of the big drawbacks of
the 6500 architecture (or, depending how you use it, one of the strong
sides) - it's a switch, with routing.  So vlan space is "switchy".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de