You are correct. I changed it as I was in the process of writing the mail to 
see if filtering even more would cause the number of routes to drop faster. 
It didn't. Continued dropping at the same slow rate. So I put it back to 23. 
But the email got parts of each config.


From: CiscoNSP List 
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:31 PM
To: Joseph Mays ; Chris Boyd ; [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Router memory problem

Very bleary eyed - but shouldnt this:



ip prefix-list max23 seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 ge 8 le 16



be:

ip prefix-list max16 seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 ge 8 le 16



As you are referencing max16 in your dist-ist 

router bgp xxxx
  distribute-list prefix max16 in







--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: cisco-nsp <[email protected]> on behalf of Joseph Mays 
<[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, 27 October 2016 7:06 AM
To: Chris Boyd; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Router memory problem 

> On the plus side, if you screw up routing with a mistake, you’ll free a lot 
> of memory :-/

See, there could be a silver lining. :-)

Got the commands in...

router bgp xxxx
  distribute-list prefix max16 in

ip prefix-list max23 seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 ge 8 le 16

The bgp table seems to be dropping in size over time....

core-gw1.noc#show ip bgp sum
[...]
xx.xxx.xxx.x    4   174  146060     785   707302    0    0 13:00:03   605322

core-gw1.noc#show ip bgp sum
[...]
xx.xxx.xxx.x    4   174  146060     785   707302    0    0 13:00:03   603660

but it's taking a long time. I could clear the bgp tables, but I'm hesitant to 
do that. Maybe better to just let it drop over time.







-----Original Message----- 
From: Chris Boyd 
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:57 PM 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Router memory problem 


> On Oct 26, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Joseph Mays <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I was thinking about using a prefix list to limit the size of the BGP routing 
> table.

Hard to do if you can’t see the config, but I suppose if you are careful you 
could tftp it in, since you mentioned that’s still working.  On the plus side, 
if you screw up routing with a mistake, you’ll free a lot of memory :-/

—Chris

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp cisco-nsp Info Page - 
puck.nether.net
      puck.nether.net
      cisco-nsp -- list for people using cisco in a NSP (Network service 
provider) environment About cisco-nsp 


archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp cisco-nsp Info Page - 
puck.nether.net
      puck.nether.net
      cisco-nsp -- list for people using cisco in a NSP (Network service 
provider) environment About cisco-nsp 


archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to