> Lukas Tribus
> Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:23 PM
>
> > The QSFP shaped ports can take either QSFP28 (100G) or regular QSFP
> > (40G) transceivers. Also, it's "about 1.2M" ipv4 routes.  This is a
> > deep buffer broadcom jericho based box, so shows interesting
> > potential, but will not have the flexibility of NPU based
> > architectures.  It will be interesting to see if Cisco produces a
competitively
> priced equivalent.
>
> NCS550x series goes in that direction, 5501 being QumranMX based and
> 5502/5508 being Jericho based.
>
> Also there is the Tomahawk based NCS 5011.

I'm just thinking, that for an Internet edge router you might just need
loads of BW -not that much pps rate, (no need for full line-rate at 64B),
and not that many features (just decent flow telemetry) -unless you are
doing some proactive DDoS filtering on the box -in which case you need a
clever and "pps-powerful"  NPU.
In CP you need fast and safe BGP implementation with loads of features,
something that have decent BGP error handling and speaking of CP a good CP
protection.
Regarding the buffers if it'll be doing just 10GE to 10GE..., well during
DDoS all that traffic is mangled anyways (10x10GE->1x10GE)-unless you expect
something important to arrive over the internet -like voice (in which case
again you need features and decent HW implementation).

So what I'm trying to say is that NCS5k with no data-plane features but
loads of BW and "maybe" a decent CP (-cause it's XR-based), might be the
right choice?

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::