On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 at 18:38, Charles Sprickman via cisco-nsp
<cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> > There are hundreds of GRE tunnels.
>
> I have nothing to offer, and I'm mostly out of the ISP game, but I am so
> curious what the use-case is here, especially the "BGP to each CPE". I
> understand this might be private info, but I'm just so very curious. The BGP
> part is where I'm stumped...

Any reason why you'd need hub+spoke topology, so many use cases.  I've
use it for two things.

Mobile backup termination
OOB termination

In both cases with BGP, because I had 2 hubs, for redundancy. But BGP
would be needed in the first case anyhow, as the customer delivers
IPs. And helps in the 2nd case, even without redundancy to simplify
configuration and keep hub configuration free (no touching on hub,
when adding or removing spokes, due to BGP listen/allow).

I mean this is what got rebranded under SDN but has existed before,
it's just pragmatic and specific.

--
  ++ytti