I need to install a device pack on a 2 node 9.1(2) CCM cluster to get support
for some 88xx phones but I do not want to update the loads for anything else.

The approach I am going to use is:

Drop the publisher out of the CM Group, forcing all phones to the subscriber.
Install the device pack on the publisher and reboot the publisher. Once the
publisher is backup, set all the device defaults back to what I want them to be
then add the publisher back to the CM Group. Then drop the subscriber from the
CM Group forcing all the phones on the publisher and start the install process
over for the subscriber. Once everything is back up add the subscriber back to
the CM Group.

Does that sound reasonable or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Ryan