Are you trying to protect the routers from other hosts within the same network, 
or just from other networks?

If the latter, then what you’re trying to do is simple, and broadcast/not using 
the addresses you mentioned at the beginning isn’t an issue, as every address 
in the grouping can be used (subnets in ACLs is just to specify a set of IPs, 
not defining a subnet in the traditional networking sense).

If the former, you’d be better off with subnets and a layer 3 switch/router to 
route between the subnets.


Matthew Ballard
Network Manager
Otis College of Art and Design
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>


CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message transmission contains 
information from Otis College of Art and Design, which may be confidential. If 
you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any  disclosure, copying, 
distribution or use of the content of this information is prohibited. If you 
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by 
e-mail and delete the original message and any attachment without reading or 
saving in any manner.



From: cisco-voip [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lelio 
Fulgenzi
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 8:35 AM
To: Cisco-voip ([email protected])
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] OT: using subnet/wildcard mask for group within a 
group, issues?

Thanks Anthony!

I should have included that I would be looking at ACLs only, nothing like 
modifying router interfaces or anything like. Using DHCP reserved addresses, 
the clients in question would get the appropriate IP address and be allowed 
through.
---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
University of Guelph

519‐824‐4120 Ext 56354
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs>
Room 037, Animal Science and Nutrition Building
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1

________________________________
From: "Anthony Holloway" 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: "Lelio Fulgenzi" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>, "Cisco-voip 
([email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>)" 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Sent: Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:29:24 AM
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] OT: using subnet/wildcard mask for group within a 
group, issues?
I'm no Route/Switch engineer, so I'm likely wrong here, but I'll give my two 
cents anyway.

You didn't specifically state what you are doing though.  E.g., ACLs, 
Interfaces, Routes, etc.

Let's pretend for a moment you wanted to carve out a new network in your 
environment for this range.

I don't think you'll be allowed to configure this as different interfaces 
within a single router.  It will tell you that the address on the interface is 
overlapping with another interface, or something like that.  With that, what 
you could do, is redesign your subnets for this range.  You will need to go 
through the exercise of changing all of the subnet masks for the hosts between 
.1 - .54.  However, it's likely not going to be that easy, as you can see 
below, the new variable length subnet masks will chop up your existing network 
into four new networks.  The fourth and last one is your desired new network, 
so really you end up with three networks for the 50 potential hosts which exist 
in that lower range.

Current (host range) [count]:
192.168.45.0/26<http://192.168.45.0/26> (.1 - .62) [62]

New (host range) [count]:
192.168.45.0/27<http://192.168.45.0/27> (.1 - .30) [30] *
192.168.45.32/28<http://192.168.45.32/28> (.33 - .46) [14] **
192.168.45.48/29<http://192.168.45.48/29> (.49 - .54) [6] ***
192.168.45.56/29<http://192.168.45.56/29> (.57 - .62) [6]

*Because of the new broadcast address of .31, you'd have to re-ip the current 
.31 host

**Because of the new network address of .32, you'd have to re-ip the current 
.32 host.  Same for the broadcast address of .47, you'd have to re-ip the 
current .47 host

***Because of the new network address of .48, you'd have to re-ip the current 
.48 host.  Same for the broadcast address of .55, you'd have to re-ip the 
current .55 host

To see this visually:
[Inline image 2]

If you did a router on a stick with sub interfaces for the four new subnets, 
then the hosts communicating between subnets cannot talk at layer 2 anymore, 
and would need to be routed.  If you had them plugged into a layer 3 switch 
that was doing routing, then I wouldn't suspect much would change in terms of 
traffic patterns or network load.  This would be further reduced if you 
addressed common servers contiguously.  E.g., CUCM+CUC+CER+IM&P as .5, .6, .7, 
and .8.

Routes to this router would not have to change, which is nice, but that's only 
if your routes were nicely summarized to begin with.  I suspect they are.  
E.g,,  A route of 192.168.45.0/26<http://192.168.45.0/26> going to this router, 
which now has four sub interfaces, one for each new subnet, would still work 
fine, and would not need to change.  If I'm not mistaken, some/all routing 
protocols would summarize these four networks into 
192.168.45.0/26<http://192.168.45.0/26> anyway, for the purpose of advertising 
to other routers.  You may have to turn on route summarization however.

Now, let's pretend you actually just wanted to create an ACL to permit those 
last 6 hosts to access some other subnet, and keep your existing network 
intact.  Then, this is a whole lot less work and you simply need to create an 
ACE for your ACL which permits the wild card match.  Let's assume that your 
protected voice subnet was 192.168.46.0/26<http://192.168.46.0/26>

permit ip 192.168.45.56 0.0.0.7 192.168.46.0 0.0.0.63

Or if not using wild card masks

permit ip 192.168.45.56 255.255.255.248 192.168.46.0 255.255.255.192

I don't know if that helped or not, but it was fun using subnet calculating 
again.  Something I haven't done in quite a few years.  I think I did it right. 
 ;)

On Thu Feb 05 2015 at 9:11:18 AM Lelio Fulgenzi 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

This group is full of it. Knowledge, that is. So who better to ask these 
questions....

I've got a subnet, say 192.168.45.0/26<http://192.168.45.0/26>, of which I want 
to allow only a small group of that subnet to access a particular host. I'm 
able to reserve the top end, which falls into another subnet, 
192.168.45.56/29<http://192.168.45.56/29>.

So, the first network, 192.168.45.0 has network id .0, first host .1, last host 
.62, b/cast .63
And, the subgroup would be,  network id .56, first host .57, last host .62, 
b/cast .63

I'm thinking, as long as I don't use 56 and 63, I can do this.

The hosts I will be protecting will be voice gateways, and collaboration 
servers, e.g. callmanager, connection, etc.

Would there be a time where the hosts being protected would interpret the 
incorrect broadcast address? I don't see how. But I could be missing something.

Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
University of Guelph

519‐824‐4120 Ext 56354<tel:519%E2%80%90824%E2%80%904120%20Ext%2056354>
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs>
Room 037, Animal Science and Nutrition Building
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1

_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Reply via email to