Just to follow up on this, after some testing with 10.5.

When a mailbox is over quota the user will get an email.

There is a "Quota Notification Mail" task under Tools - Task
Management to adjust the schedule of the quota email.

You can also customize the quota email text, under Message Storage -
Mailbox Quotas, the Quota Alert Text section.