No problem. Unfortunately the [official] answer to your question would be no. 
Even running it in parallel can introduce issues during your upgrade. The 
password comparison I mentioned occurs during the upgrade process on Subscriber 
nodes. Also… I was mistaken - the comparison is against the application admin 
password and not cluster security. But regardless, a switch version on the 
Publisher would be needed before upgrading the Subscribers. That’s not to say 
doing it your way would automatically result in a failure. I’ve seen both 
methods work for a refresh upgrade to 10.5, but I’ve also seen situations where 
a parallel refresh upgrade resulted in failure for the reason above. I would 
strongly suggest following the RU steps documented in that PDF to avoid any 
potential issues.

- Dan

From: Reto Gassmann [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 7:45 AM
To: Daniel Pagan
Cc: Reto Gassmann; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrade CUCM and CUPS 9.1 to 10.5

Hello Dan

thanks for sharing this.

I am doing the upgrade without PCS.

Can I install the subscriber parallel?

Regards Reto

Am 16.06.2015 um 18:09 schrieb Daniel Pagan 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>:
CUPS requires that CUCM is running your new release before you can upgrade to 
IM&P 10.x, so complete your CUCM upgrade before you touch CUPS.

As for your main concern with switching order… since you’re doing a refresh 
upgrade you’ll need to switch your Publisher before you begin the upgrade on 
the Subscriber nodes.

See section Refresh Upgrade of Unified Communications Manager and IM and 
Presence Nodes (starts at pg23):
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100.pdf

“The publisher node must be running the new software before you upgrade each 
subscriber node.”

Not doing this can cause issues when Subscriber nodes perform a cluster 
security password comparison with the Publisher. Subscriber node upgrades can 
fail midway through the process, wiping out your inactive partition and leaving 
you on your original version.

Time to completion can vary greatly. Are you using PCD for the upgrade? The 
latest version of PCD supports external SFTP ISO sourcing last I heard. In some 
situations that can be a real time saver. With ideal conditions, I would 
suggest expecting a refresh upgrade to take between two to three hours per node.

- Dan

From: cisco-voip [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Reto 
Gassmann
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:39 AM
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: [cisco-voip] Upgrade CUCM and CUPS 9.1 to 10.5

Hello Group

I am planning the upgrade of our UC cluster (CUCM 1xPub 7xSub / CUPS 1xPub 
1xSub) from 9.1 to 10.5.
Has anyone done this before and can share some thoughts about it?
What I am mainly interested in is the upgrade procedure, when to switch (Pub 
and Subs) over and time used.
Any help is appreciated

Regards Reto
_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Reply via email to