Hi Aaron!

With a 3850 stack in an environment like you describe, the config I would
likely do on the interface (unless I had some mitigating reason to do
otherwise) would look like:

rthtestlab# conf t

rthtestlab(config)# ip multicast-routing

rthtestlab(config)# int gi1/0/10

rthtestlab(config-if)# ip pim sparse-mode

rthtestlab(config-if)# end

rthtestlab#

(keep in mind that if you do use sparse-mode, you will need a rendezvous point)

IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) registers individual hosts in a
multicast group on a particular LAN (VLAN). Enabling PIM on an interface also
enables IGMP. IGMP also limits the flow of multicast traffic through the
segment using things called, "queriers" and "hosts"; in order to participate in
multicasting, the device (in this case a 3850 stack) must have IGMP running.

I would take some time and review
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/consolidated_guide/b_consolidated_3850_3se_cg_chapter_0101000.html#topic_046CCC6211D149DBAD2E9D7F22C7306D
 (multicast on 3850). There are a number of road-bumps you could encounter with
multicast that could have you scratching your head.

Another tip with these IP paging solutions is that most of them (Singlewire
being one) require the web server on the IP phone to be enabled. Something that
can get overlooked sometimes.

= Ryan =

Email: ryanthomash...@outlook.com

Spark: ryanthomash...@outlook.com