Charles,

You're recommending the cp command, but vmware says otherwise.  Thoughts on
this?  Disclaimer: I'm no vmware guru, but I do read a lot of documentation.

"To prevent performance and data management related issues on ESX, avoid
the use of using scp, cp, or mv for storage operations; instead use
vmkfstools, VMware's virtual machine Importer tool. "

Source: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1000936