From: Anthony Holloway <avholloway+cisco-v...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:02 PM
To: Kent Roberts <k...@fredf.org>
Cc: Matthew Loraditch <mloradi...@heliontechnologies.com>;
cisco-voip@puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5

[EXTERNAL]

Or turn it into the first cisco-voip community project, and we all jump in and
help?  I call translation patterns!

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:57 PM Kent Roberts
<k...@fredf.org<mailto:k...@fredf.org>> wrote:

Might be less work to just start over…..

On May 28, 2020, at 10:25 AM, Matthew Loraditch
<mloradi...@heliontechnologies.com<mailto:mloradi...@heliontechnologies.com>>
wrote:

Here’s a fun one. We have taken over support of these ancient servers hosted on
Esxi 4.1 on UCS-C200-M2s!

Exact Versions are:
8.5 SU2 for CUCM/UCXN
8.5 FCS for UCCX

Each  is a pair of servers.

Have new M5s and flex licensing… need to get to 12.5..  8.5 docs are dead for
CUCM/UCXN and 8 and 9 docs are dead for UCCX. ISOs I may need are not available
publicly.

Also fun wrinkle the new host are across the WAN and for many logistical
reasons are staying there. The migration to the new hosts will have to be via
DRS or maybe PCD somehow? Not sure if the bandwidth available to get data
across will be fast enough to finish in the allotted time period. My plan was a
change freeze window and copy/restore the backups and then activate the new
servers and move the subnet to the new location.

As best I can tell I need to get UCCX to SU4 of 8.5.1 then I can go to 10.6 SU3
and then to 12x (with the fun of two CAD upgrades and then a migration to
Finesse!)

For CUCM/UCXN I need to go to 8.6 anything and then I can go to 11.5 and then
to 12x

I think my plan is to do the upgrades to the interim versions on the old hosts
then migrate to the new and then finish the upgrades. The old hosts will need
ESXi upgrades to an interim version.

Anyone have thoughts on what they would do here? This is partially depending on
TAC being able to provide me the ISOs I will need, but I presume there is an
archive.

In theory some sort of PCD migration is also an option, but I’ve never done one
and not sure how it could handle the subnet situation that will have to exist.

Welcome to my fun life!

Matthew Loraditch​
Sr. Network Engineer
p: 443.541.1518<tel:443.541.1518>