Really you have a couple things to worry about, the physical ether link
and the service in question.  Assuming the device in question connects to
a managed switch, syslog, snmp, or something similar can tell you when the
port status changes.  Re service monitoring, NoCOl used to be a great free
option, I'm sure theres several out there now, just google for service
monitor.

        Brian

The path to a desireable destination
is often more difficult than the path to stay where you are.