hebn9999 wrote:

> hello,everyone:

>    OSPF use raw socket (datagram) to communicate with peers. In
> general, layer 2 frame has a MTU of 1500 bytes.
>    how does cisco router propagate router-lsa whose size exceed
> 1500 bytes(more than 122 links in one area)?

Well, I don't have a definite answer, but I'll discuss it with you in the
hopes of lighting a fire under one of the OSPF experts on this list. Howard?
Chuck? Peter? Where's Pamela when we need her? :-)

OSPF runs directly above IP. I don't know if that could be called "raw
socket" which is a UNIX thing? My perception is that with Cisco IOS, OSPF
calls IP with a set of parameters and lets IP handle the rest. So maybe
that's sort of raw.

I can say this: The OSPF packets I have seen coming out of Cisco routers
have the IP fragmentation bit set to "May Fragment." This makes me think
that Cisco's OSPF relies on IP to push the bytes into the data-link-layer
frame and fragment if necessary.

The OSPF RFC (RFC 2178) says this:

"OSPF does not define a way to fragment its protocol packets, and depends on
IP fragmentation when transmitting packets larger than the network MTU. If
necessary, the length of OSPF packets can be up to 65,535 bytes (including
the IP header). The OSPF packet types that are likely to be large (Database
Description Packets, Link State Request, Link State Update, and Link State
Acknowledgment packets) can usually be split into several separate protocol
packets, without loss of functionality. This is recommended; IP
fragmentation should be avoided whenever possible."

Unfortunately, that's not very clear. It implies that the recommended method
is for OSPF to split its own protocol packets. But that the method for doing
this is undefined and that's OK because OSPF can depend on IP to do
fragmentation.

Cisco routers tell each other their MTU in database description packets, per
RFC 2178. Until recently, if the routers didn't agree on the MTU, they
wouldn't become adjacent. A recent IOS version supports telling a router to
ignore the other side's MTU so they can still become adjacent.

That doesn't answer your question, but maybe there are some hints in the
article that discusse the "ip ospf mtu-ignore" feature here:

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.priscilla.com