At 5:40 PM -0700 7/9/03, Zsombor Papp wrote:
>At 11:07 PM 7/9/2003 +0000, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
>>At 12:43 PM +0000 7/9/03, Zsombor Papp wrote:
>>>The original question (as I understood) was about a single LSA that is
>>>larger than 1500 bytes (think Type 1 LSA for a router with 200
interfaces).
>>>I can't see how such an LSA could be divided into multiple OSPF messages
so
>>>the only logical (implementation independent) solution seems to be to
>>>fragment the packet at the IP layer. Am I missing something?
>>
>>I missed the point that the LSA was for the same router. Without
>>testing it, however, I don't immediately see why it wouldn't work to
>>have multiple LSAs for the same router,
>
>I am not sure what you mean by "multiple LSAs for the same router",
>but if you mean "multiple type 1 LSAs originated by the same
>router", then my answer is "because it is impossible to distinguish
>them". If I am mistaken here, then I would like to understand how
>such LSAs can be distinguished.

The relationship between type 1 and type 2 is essential in developing
the SPF algorithm.  If you think of the LSDB entries for both, they
are trees.  The type 1 bas the router ID as root and the attached
interface IDs/prefixes as leaves.  The type 2 has an interface
ID/prefix as root and routers connected to that prefix as leaves.

>>  as long as no prefixes were
>>duplicated. Certainly, you send out a new type 2 when an additional
>>prefix activates
>
>What is "prefix" in this context? Type 2 LSAs describe the routers
>attached to a network. Are you saying that if an additional router
>comes up on that network, then the DR should send only an
>"incremental" Type 2 LSA, containing a single entry, describing the
>new router that just came up? Which bit in the OSPF packet will let
>the receiver router know that this is an "incremental" LSA, not a
>replacement (because all the other routers died and a new one just
>came up)?

The receiving router knows the sending router is still up, at least
through the hello mechanism. One of the fundamental points of using
hellos is so you know if the originating router has gone down.  Since
you know from context it's still up, you don't need an incremental
flag -- you know the update is supplemental information.

Remember also that you can withdraw routes without killing the whole
LSDB entry.

>>  -- I don't immediately see why you couldn't send out
>>a new type 1 with the additional new prefix. Neither are in an
>>existing LSDB, so they shouldn't purge anything.
>
>How do you mean "neither are in an existing LSDB"? If an OSPF router
>receives two Type 1 LSAs, both originated by the same router, how
>will it differentiate between the two so that it can install both of
>them into the LSDB? IMHO the receiver will try to guess which one of
>the two is newer and install only the newer one. In fact it is not
>even correct to think about these two LSAs as "two LSAs"; they are
>two instances of the same LSA.

Think not of the transmitted LSAs but its entries. You can have
updates on existing information, or changes to the basic topology
conveyed (such as a new interface coming up). That doesn't need a new
LSA.

Look at it this way:  LSUpdates are encodings of information for
transmission.  The decision to install information in the LSDB is
done after the packet is parsed into its components.