At 08:36 AM 7/10/2003 -0700, Zsombor Papp wrote:
>Hi,
>
>the L1/L2 behavior can be configured on a per interface basis. The
>question why you would want an interface to be both L1 and L2, and
>especially why you would want a router to form both L1 and L2 adjacency
>with one of its neighbors, is a good one.

In general, I don't think you would want this. I can attest to have never
intentionally  designing a network of that nature.  Unless you wish to
connect L1 domains to a backbone, or are in the process of a migration from
one topology to another, minimizing adjacency state and its related
overhead is a good thing.

>One (exotic) example would be if an L1L2 router has L1, L2, and L1L2
>neighbors as well on the same interface like, this:
>
>|--L2
>|
>|--L1L2
>|
>|--L1L2
>|
>|--L1
>
>In this case the L1L2 routers' interface must be configured for both L1
>and L2 if we want the L1 router to be able to "get out". Consequently, the
>two L1L2 routers will form both L1 and L2 adjacency with each other, but
>this is more a coincidence than a requirement, IMHO.

I would agree.  There is no benefit to this as I see it.

>A more realistic scenario would be like this:
>
>L1--|
>     |--L1L2(A)--L2
>     |--L1L2(B)--L2
>L1--|

In this case, you L1 areas will not usually be the same and the L1
adjacency between the two "core" routers will not form.  If the area is the
same, the L2 adjacency is superfluous.   Many large networks are single
area, or single level (ie L1 everyone in one area, or L2 everywhere where
area isn't very relevant.)

Pete