Steven Aiello wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>    I need some folks with hopefully a CCIE to answer this
> question.
>
> If there is an un subnetted class A, and there are 25 or users
> on the
> network.  would the fact that the network is unsubnetted cause
> a large
> load of network traffic?
>
> here is the reason and layout.
>
> Our company uses Xerox printers and they came with address
>
> 10.6.1.45 - 255.0.0.0
> 10.6.1.44 - 255.0.0.0
>
> our clients are all on the same network using a DHCP pool of
>
> 10.6.1.100 - 10.6.1.150
>
> even if there is  broadcast it is one message across the
> network (lets
> say for Netbios name resolution) there is one broadcast not a
> unicast to
> 16,7xx,xxx some host.

True. It will just be one broadcast packet and probably won't use a lot of
bandwidth. It may be repeated a few times, but probably still won't use a
lot of bandwidth.

>Only 25 hosts will answer correct?

They won't all answer, just the one with the name that needs to be resolved.
A lot of NetBIOS naming traffic is hosts announcing their own names
actually. Nobody answers those.

The issue isn't whether they answer or not anyway. Nor is it a bandwidth
consumption issue, as you realize. It's an issue of eating CPU cycles on the
hosts and NICs that receive the broadcast, which could be as many as
16,777,000 hosts with your current addressing scheme. Every NIC and host has
to take in the packet, process it, and probably discard it, but still that
could represent a significant amount of work.

Your consultant is probably concerned that all devices are in the same
broadcast domain. They all hear each other's broadcasts. If they are all
announcing their names and trying to find each other by name and ARPing and
RIPing and DHCPing, etc., this could become a performance issue on the
hosts. Of course, you don't have nearly 16 million devices (25 you say?) so
it's not an issue yet. Cisco recommends no more than 500 nodes per broadcast
domain so you're pretty safe.

The printers are going to broadcast at a particular rate regardless of the
subnet mask. The packets they send probably aren't very big. They probably
aren't using a lot of bandwidth  But if you subdivided the network into
multiple subnets and broadcast domains, using routers, not as many hosts
will hear the broadcasts.

The problem with broadcasts usually isn't a bandwidth consumption issue.
It's a problem with the fact that a broadcast interrupts the CPU of every
station in the broadcast domain. A lot of broadcasts can noticeably slow
down an already slow computer with an old CPU. Nowadays, it would probably
be a lot harder to cause a noticeable difference, CPUs are so fast.

Anyway, your consultant may not be dumb, but she or he didn't describe the
issue very well. Broadcast domains are covered in CCNA material, by the way.
This isn't CCIE stuff. :-)

Priscilla